Night view of downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Studying and living in Canada

Is it worth going to study “overseas”? What distinguishes Canadian universities against their European counterparts? What requirements should be met to start learning at leading universities, which for many years have already been at the top positions of all world ranks? You will find the answers in our mini-guide.

Recruitment Process and Required Documents

A pass to take up studies at one of the Canadian universities is a secondary school-leaving exam certificate. However, one should take into account the very restrictive schedule and the need to submit interpreted documents required by the university together with a notarial certificate. An additional responsibility that lies with potential candidates is proficiency in English or French, confirmed by international certifications, e.g. TOEFL and DALF.

Candidates should also have basic knowledge of the field of study they intend to study. Requirements are always outlined in detail at university websites.

The most prominent Universities in Canada:

  • University of Toronto,
  • Université de Montréal,
  • York University,
  • University of British Columbia,
  • Concordia University,
  • Université du Québec à Montréal,
  • Athabasca University,
  • University of Alberta,
  • University of Ottawa,
  • Ryerson University.

The way to one of the above leads through the Canadian Embassy’s door, which explains the issue of holding or not holding an entry visa as follows: “If your estimated period of study in Canada does not exceed six months, you can study without obligation to obtain a permit. For the education period lasting longer than six months of study, a permit is required. “

All clear?

Important: permission to study covers only the period of studying. To be able to stay permanently in Canada, you must apply to the Immigration Office.

How much does it all cost?

To start your student career in Canada, you will need about 10,000 $ CAD for each year of stay – that’s what immigration regulations assume. The costs of living in smaller cities are relatively low, and you will probably save a lot on both renting a flat and self-catering. Unfortunately, in big cities, you must expect much higher prices.

The rental prices are as follows:

  • about 1600 CAD per month for a house;
  • 1200 – 1500 CAD per month for duplex, or a terraced house;
  • 1000-1200 CAD per month for an apartment with 2 bedrooms.

Prices in smaller towns are much lower, and you can easily find a house for rent for about 800 CAD.

You can also take advantage of the offer of dorms where rooms are available in the following configurations:

  • Holiday Inn: double rooms with bathrooms, no meals. Located 5 minutes walk from the school.
  • Sandman Suites: double rooms with bathrooms. Without food. Located 15 minutes walk from the school.
  • Shaughnessy Village: single rooms with bathrooms, breakfast included.

Working in Canada

International students can take up a job while studying, without special permission, but on condition that they work on site of the campus of the university, they are studying. The employer can, therefore, be a university or a private enterprise that runs its business there. People who would like to work in other places will have to apply for a special permit. The relevant application can be submitted to the Immigration Office. The exception is students whose professional work is closely related to the subject of research or is carried out under the supervision of a university academic worker.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *